Corporates are citizens of the city they operate in and their employees are a part of the local communities that they live in. A clean and healthy environment can both be a function of corporates doing their bit and expecting infrastructure and systems from the city administration.
Among all other productivity and motivation programs that corporates run from time to time, health and well-being of employees are dependent on physical activities they do and a healthy, stress-free commute to and from work. In these days of severe traffic congestion in cities in India and around the world, getting cars off the road and taking public transport or cycling to work is a part of Corporate Social Responsibility! – that will have a great impact on daily lives of citizens.
Here are a few things that Corporates can do to make this happen:
- Be the Messenger! – HR departments of companies can help spread the message of saving the earth while having a fitter workforce and promote cycling, walking or taking public transport to work. Promote and organize events and seminars that will help build awareness and answer questions and address apprehensions
- Honored, Privileged Parking! – Recognise employees who cycle to work with privileged parking slots that are easily accessible and visible, close to their buildings of work and the elevator! The others can be charged with the expensive real estate and parking space that they occupy in the office premises!
- Cycling Allowance! – employees who cycle to work will save companies a lot of dead investments of parking real estate with the minimal space that bicycles need for parking. Surely, some of this can be passed on to employees who help save these costs!
- Showers in the Office! – will go a long way in encouraging employees to cycle to work and have a shower before they start work, as they would do after a visit to the gym. The healthy sweat and toil need to be supported!
- Cycle Day – Car Free Day – Plan and promote at least one day in a month that will be a Car-Free or Cycle Day in the office. This will help reduce some congestion on the streets that day and show the way for employees that its possible to use public transport, cycle or walk to work. This can also be done in a coordinated manner with the Tech Park or larger set of companies coming together to do it on the same day each month!
- Outings and Off-sites on cycles – Encourage project teams and managers to plan their next team building activities and offsite meetings with cycle trips. Many cities now have adventure and outdoor activities organizations that will help plan these trips and make them memorable!
- Spend CSR Funds in the office neighborhood – in creating and maintaining cycle tracks in the neighborhood of the office or major areas where employees stay and commute to work from. This spend will have a huge impact on neighborhoods that can be easily seen and measured! The city administrations will be happy to receive such support for their budgets and projects!
- Support the Messengers & Facilitators – Corporates can help fund billboards, radio, print and social media campaigns to create awareness and push adoption of walking or cycling to work. They can help the city and Public Bicycle Sharing services take the message of services, events, and deals on cycling to employees through their corporate communication systems.
- Demand Cycling Infrastructure – Work with the city administration to Demand and Support the creation of cycling tracks and cycle parking spots in and around the office and the residential localities of its employees. Public Bicycle Sharing companies can assist in this process, aggregating and taking the demands to the city administration. Demand a bicycle parking zone and cycle tracks here – http://www.yulu.bike/request.html
- Support Advocacy on Non-Motorized Transport – Appropriate departments of corporates can lobby for and work with the city, state and country’s policy makers and administrations to advocate the planning and spending on projects around Non-Motorised Transport – pedestrian paths, cycle tracks, etc.
Corporates in India and around the world have been catalysts in many social and lifestyle changes in the world! Here’s another chance to get people to change their ways and help save the earth, one cycle at a time!