What we all work for at the end of the day is food, isn’t it? The fun exercise cycling has a lot of health benefits-physical and mental. While there is a huge list of benefits, a very fun exercise and the best leisure activity, none can deny the fact that bike rides are the best mode of commute when it comes to shorter distances, but there is a catch. Nothing comes for free. Cycling may not cost you money but it definitely drains your stamina and energy. Cycling even though is supposed to improve your stamina but for the beginners, it drains a lot of energy while pedaling and especially if they keep their pace of ride high. Have no fear, we have come up with a solution to your cycling woes that would keep your energy intact and help you pedal your way. We have listed the following super foods that you can intake when you fall short of stamina during your ride.
- Oatmeal: A great source of whole grains and fiber, unprocessed oats are loaded with energy-generating nutrients like folate, potassium, iron, zinc and healthy mono- and polyunsaturated fats. Having oatmeal helps you improve satiety.
- Yogurt: A good source of potassium, calcium and vitamin B-12, low fat yogurt offers an ideal blend of carbohydrates and protein in a portable portion. The high protein content offers long lasting energy since it takes a while to digest and the carbs provide a short term energy boost to get you pedaling strongly.
- Almonds: It is found that having almonds before cycling helps cover more distance and pedal more efficiently than consuming the same number of calories from a sugary food. Almond butter is also a good energy boosting choice. Almonds contain a lot of minerals blended together namely, protein, complex carbs, fiber and healthy fats as well as magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron and zinc. These nutrients help battle oxidative stress and increase oxygen in your blood to unleash energy.
- Tuna or Salmon: Tuna or Salmon are a great source of protein and provides a slower and more sustained rise in blood sugar. Tuna and Salmon are loaded with omega -3 fatty acids which decrease inflammation in the body and boosts circulation of blood and efficiency of heart and organs helping feel less fatigued.
- Bananas: Bananas are rich in potassium, vitamins A and C, folate and resistant starch, a type of fiber human body cannot absorb, so they keep you feeling full for longer. Bananas are an excellent good pre-cycling source of fuel.
- Honey: Honey as a super food is very famous and yes it helps in generating more watts during cycling. The reason is quite simple. It’s an easily digestible source of carbohydrates and provides a quick energy boost. Having honey also has a bonus. Besides providing a quick energy boost, it also satisfies your sweet tooth!
- Tart Cherry Juice: This is something we are sure you would not want to miss out on. It helps you stay hydrated during your ride and it accelerates recovery and reduces exercised induced inflammation. So if you cycle for exercise, you now know what you must carry for your rides.
- Celery: Celery contains a lot of inorganic nitrate that helps generate more energy in the body and will definitely come in handy while taking a ride in cycle. For a cyclist chomping a few sticks of celery hours before hitting the road can have a lot of positive repercussions. Celery helps in increased blood and oxygen delivery to the muscles and efficient muscle contraction. These effects can lead to improved stamina and performance.
- Lentils: These are a natural and hearty source of protein, fiber, a variety of minerals, some anti-oxidants and in an ample amount form a healthy wad of slow burning carbs. They’re also pretty minimal in calories and the mineral content, especially iron helps form hemoglobin in the body which deliver oxygen to muscles thus improving muscle endurance.
- Flat Coke: The caffeine within cola triggers the release of two hormones, epinephrine and norepinephrine, that help raise blood sugar levels and fuel muscle contractions hence providing energy.
The list goes on and on, but the major super foods are listed such that lack of stamina does not serve as an excuse or drawback to cycling. Embrace the beauty and benefits of cycling and Yulu is here to help your cause. Yulu believes in a fitter India and to support the cause we provide you with a wide variety of cycles from which you can select and pedal your way. Scan and rent a cycle using the app and pedal the change, and yes, do not forget to eat your super food before you go cycling!