Despite so many traffic rules at its place, accidents on road are nothing new to speak of, and the numbers have always been rising since the beginning. One of the major reasons for this might be due to the number of cars and other motor vehicles on road. Well, to curb those issues, one can always turn to cycling as a mode of transportation for it will solve the problem of heavy congestion on roads and chances are that eventually the rate of accidents on road will go down. But, even the cyclists also need to be very careful especially with their four wheel counterpart on the road. You might have often heard in news or witnessed collisions between the cycles and the motor vehicles. The cyclists also needs to make sure to follow the following rules to ensure their safety on roads.
- Wear bright clothes: When you go cycling, it is always better if you wear bright clothes, even in the day hours, such that the other vehicles can easily spot you if you are on their way.
- Avoid Headphones: Wearing headphones is not a very safe option on the roads, especially if the roads are usually congested. You may fail to hear the horns behind you and that may lead to a collision.
- Signal your turns: While you are riding a bicycle, you must know that cycles are usually not equipped with the indicators in front and back. So, it is a safe option to always use your hand to signal before you take a turn. Look in front and back before taking a turn.
- Do not ride on sidewalk: Sidewalk is meant for the people to walk on, and not for any vehicles. The vehicles can have the entire road, and should not occupy the sidewalk, and the same applies for cycles. Chances of a collision become higher with the people walking if you ride on the sidewalks.
- Wear a helmet: No matter whether you are on a bike or a cycle, wearing a helmet is a must! The helmet will protect your head from injury in case of any collision or accident.
- Slow down at intersections: Whenever there is a crossing you should slow down your cycle and make your crossing carefully and follow the traffic signals. Even though you might be in a bicycle, the traffic rules still apply on you if you are riding a bicycle. It is for your safety. If you are unsure of your visibility, wave your arms and make a signal to indicate the turn you wish to take.
- Keep to your left: When you are riding a bicycle, try sticking to the left side of the road rather than occupying the center as that is where the heavy vehicles will pass. But also make sure that you do not hug the curb too much, leave yourself some space to steer into if necessary and most importantly, be visible.
- Ride defensively: Never take a chance while you are on the road and keep your eyes wide open on the roads and pay attention to the vehicles around you.
- Carry a light: Carry a torchlight with you or make sure your cycle has a headlight if you are planning to ride in the dark. You never know what obstacles may come in front of you, hence you might want to take precaution beforehand.
- Make eye contact: Make eye contact with the vehicles coming from in front when a potentially dangerous situation might ensue; be sure to be seen by them.
Cycling is a healthy, fun exercise and you should not take chances by being irresponsible with it on the street. To ride on motor vehicles, you need a license, but in the case of cycles, you need nothing of such sort, hence you need to be extra careful to keep yourself and others safe on the road. Yulu promotes the idea of cycling as the preferable mode of commute in times when the roads are heavily congested and the environment is in danger. Scan and rent a bicycle using the Yulu app and Pedal The Change.