Most of us have come across the very popular saying ‘Age is just a number’, but how true is it. In reality, humans today hit their biological peak between the age of 20 to 35 and following that, the decline of the human body begins and various diseases start attacking. The heart problems, the various liver problems, depression, the bone and muscle structure begin declining and bothering and by the age of 55 to 60, the organs become weak, the immunity power becomes unable to resist or fight the battles within the human body. It is in times like these that the older people need to take care of their body the most. A combination of regular exercise and a healthy diet will do the task and give your body the much-needed boost to stay active and fit. Cycling is one of the best exercises for ageing bodies. It helps the body’s cardiovascular system function efficiently and also keeps the heart healthy. Many would argue that running might do the task, but for the older people running for long might do more harm than benefit. Cycling, on the other hand, is a low impact sport and it reduces the strains on the joints. Studies even show that cycling regularly slows down the ageing process in humans. When there are so many benefits to cycling for the older people, it only makes sense that one should engage more in cycling regularly as they keep on ageing. But before the older people take to hit the roads with their cycles, it is necessary to keep in mind that the mobility becomes limited with age and hence, here are a few pointers they should be well aware of to keep themselves safe.
- Wear a helmet: No matter, where you ride, always wear a helmet when you peddle. It may so happen that you meet with an accident or so, the helmet will always protect your head in such cases. Never risk your life by being careless.
- Follow traffic rules: It is to be kept in mind that the traffic signals are applicable to every vehicle on road, including the bicycles. So never jump a signal or break traffic rules for it may put your life in danger.
- Protect your knees: The posture while you ride a bicycle is also important. If you look at yourself head- on while you ride, you should see a straight line from your shin to your thigh. When your knee rolls inward or pushes outward, the kneecap doesn’t glide smoothly. This could cause problems with your cartilage, especially if you’re dealing with inflammation. Sitting too close might cause you further problem. Keep your seat further back to improve your knee mobility.
- Try an electric bike: Make sure your bike is in good shape and not all rusty. If you want to catch up with the modern vehicles, offer a chance to electric bikes. As old age dawns, it becomes more and more difficult to put effort, and the electric bike comes to rescue at such times and provides you with the additional boost to move ahead with lesser effort. These bikes can even propel without pedalling. The electric bikes ensure that you are not all fatigued as you ride.
- Ride with friends: As one grows older, one requires the support of other people around. Hence, just take a bicycle and ride with your friends all around. This will ensure that you have a healthy body and the socialization will ensure your mental health is in check.
- Take it easy: Do not push your body for more than it can take. Choose a route that is less strenuous and the road that is smoother. Do not ignore any kind of pain while cycling. Start by cycling for shorter distances and once you feel comfortable, you can gradually increase your distance and speed.
- Balance Concerns: If you have balance concerns while riding a cycle, it is advisable not to straightaway head to the road. Take some time, and get used to riding a bicycle. Practice mounting and dismounting a bicycle and once you feel comfortable and confident hit the road. There always is the option of attaching an extra set of wheels to help you with your balance concerns.
- Take sufficient rest: As you grow old, the human body becomes weaker and requires rest. If you cycle hard for a few days constantly, consider taking a break and rest or a day or two. It will benefit your body tremendously. Also make sure that while you ride, if you feel dizzy or have any problem with sight, visit a doctor and stay away from the roads for the time being.
Whether you begin cycling today or have been cycling for years, do not assume that you have to quit cycling, just because you have aged. Rather, make it a reason to stay healthy and active and in fact, studies show that cycling is the ideal exercise for older people. If you feel that you are too old to buy a bicycle, Yulu is here for you. Yulu rents cycles at very cheap rates, all you have to do is scan and rent a bicycle using the Yulu app and beat your old age with ease.